HPSA finished off 2015 with Health Policy Day, promoting our #WhyHealthPolicyMatters campaign. The campaign is our attempt to create a dialogue throughout the SPH community, highlighting why health policy is relevant to students interested in public health and the healthcare industry. For a little stress-busting before finals, we passed out hot chocolate and cookies, and asked folks to let us know #WhyHealthPolicyMatters to them. As a tribute to the great David Letterman, here are the Top 10 responses:
- Because policy can be an effective long term, positive, healthy equitable intervention.
- Because it can change the structures that determine population health.
- Because it helps fight for environmental justice.
- Because everyone deserves access to preventable care.
- Health policy provides sustainable changes in healthcare.
- Because it applies research towards improving health in populations.
- Because it impacts every part of our lives from womb to tomb.
- Because treating a problem (medicine) is less effective than solving it (policy).
- Because it is the responsibility of a state or any organized institution to ensure the wellbeing of its citizens. Healthy citizens = a healthy and more productive society.
- Because we won’t achieve health for all without it!
Below are student photos from Health Policy Day, but the #WhyHealthPolicyMatters campaign is an ongoing effort. Stop by our display near JavaBlu in SPH to see #WhyHealthPolicyMatters to several SPH faculty members. Thank you to all who participated!